Saturday, May 2, 2009

Becoming a Piano Teacher Is Not Easy

Two weeks ago , my piano teacher gave birth to a baby girl . So , I was hired as her substitute teacher for some of her students . Today , a lot of first's had happened .

First of all , I never took a bus before , but my piano teacher's house is only reachable by a bus . So , I took Rapid KL . I have to admit that this system is quite good because I got all my information from the Internet and I actually managed to reach there on time .

For your information , I have no idea what to teach or what so ever . I just got all the students' scores when I reached there . So it was basically like sight reading . Knowing that my sight reading was so terrible , I was like so freaked out . Later how if I got so embarrassed in front of my students ? That's it lah ...

Before I could rehearse much , my first student arrived . Actually there were three of them . All were siblings . Thank goodness they were Grade Ones and Twos only . So I think I still managed to sight read most of their pieces .

Next was a pair of 9 years old twins . I tell you , they were super cute ... in an innocent way of course ... please , don't be sick ..... They were like C****** Y** H** Y** when she was younger , only difference was they were Indians .... the white kind of Indians ... Anyway , they were beginners . So I was actually quite relieved by it .

Then I had my lunch . Suddenly I realised I left my lunch at home ... Sob .... I had to order McDonald's which cost me RM15.15 .. OMG .... I super broke already . Before I finished it , the next batch of students arrived .

There were four of them . Two Grade 3's , one Grade 4 and one Grade 5 .... I didn't practise their pieces at all because my confidence level was quite high after the morning .

Anyway , it all started with the Grade 5 student . He was like ' Teacher , teacher ( he is only TWELVE !!!! Imagine how smart students nowadays are .... ) , how to play this piece ? ' Normally , I'll use my old trick and ask them to play while I was watching ... Actually I know nothing but I purposely went and find some mistakes when they were playing and pointed them out . It showed I was more than a puppet and I won't make a fool out of myself . But this student insisted I demonstrate to him . I sat on the chair , looked at the score .... I was thinking ' Ok , this is a Baroque piece , no pedal , little phrasing , regular tempo , very clear chord progressions .... shouldn't be a problem . Then when I played the first note ( an F ) ... he said " Teacher , teacher , it's F# la .. never look at the key signature one meh ?" .... I said " ........ " Omg .... so stupid , what kind of piano teacher doesn't look at the key signature before playing ..... Overall , I was so embarrassed .....

I am sure they were thinking " 有吾搞错 。。。this piano teacher so ciplak one ..."

That's it la .... I still need to teach for 3 more weeks .... We'll see how things go ...

No comments: